NEWS FLASH: There’s still time to register!
Though Trek registration not available online anymore, it’s still available “in person”! Same place as the packet pickup:
Memorial Park Community Center in Johnson City. (510 Bert St.)
Wednesday 8/27/14, 3 pm – 8 pm
Thursday 8/28/14, 11 am – 8 pm
Friday 8/29/14, 11 am – 8 pm
See you at the Trek!
Opening Day Run/Walk/Cycle – Be the first!
Join your neighbors, friends and family to officially open the new Tweetsie Trail at the Opening Day Run/Walk/Cycle on Saturday August 30, 2014 (Labor Day weekend). Called the Tweetsie Trail Trek, it’s a family-friendly run/walk/bike on the historic route between Elizabethton and Johnson City, followed by festivities at the new Memorial Park Community Center.
You’re sure to enjoy the day and natural beauty along the way. Plus, you’ll be participating in funding the Trail, since your registration fee goes toward Trail development and maintenance. You’ll also receive an event T-shirt and inaugural Trek medallion when you register in advance. On the Opening Day, the Trail is one-way only for runners and walkers, starting in Elizabethton and ending in Johnson City. Cyclists follow the same route but start at MPCC and make a round trip. Other non-Trek “traffic” will be allowed after 3 pm.
WHEN: Saturday August 30, 2014 Runners Start: 8:30 am Walkers Start: 8:45 am Cyclists Start: 12 noon
WHERE: The Tweetsie Trail Trek starts at Lions Field in Elizabethton. The course is 4.3 miles running point to point. The finish line is at the Memorial Park Community Center (just beyond Cardinal Park.)
PARKING AND TRANSPORTATION
Since the Trek is a one-way adventure for runners and walkers, transportation and parking are really important to consider in advance. Here are your options:
- Carpool: The preferred arrangement is for you and your friends to carpool.
- Leave one car at the finish line close to Cardinal Park in Johnson City and drive to Elizabethton High School where you will be shuttled to the start at Lions Field.
- Or, drive to Elizabethton High School, take the shuttle to the Starting Line, and take a shuttle back to your car at Elizabethton High after the event.
- Shuttle buses: You can park at the finish line close to Cardinal Park in Johnson City and catch a shuttle to the starting line. Important: If riding a shuttle from Johnson City to Elizabethton, come early! Shuttles start at 6:30 am.
- Shuttles will run from point to point throughout the event. The last shuttle from Johnson City back to Elizabethton will leave Memorial Park Community Center at 1 pm.
Shuttles & Parking locations: Johnson City: Legion Street area at Memorial Park Community Center, Cardinal Park, Municipal & Safety Building (City Hall) and surrounding neighborhoods. Elizabethton: Elizabethton High School.
Special note for Cyclists: Your Trek will be an “Out & Back” starting at the Memorial Park Community Center at 12 noon. Total 8.6 miles round trip MPCC <–> Lions Field. So please plan on coming to the MPCC before your ride to enjoy the music and festivities.
- Early Registration (on-line only): Ends August 22, $20 Adults / $15 Students
- Late Registration: (on-line & packet pick-up) August 23 – 29, $25 Adults / $20 Students
- Family Discount: $20 Discount for Families over 4 Entries (immediate family only)
- Scouts $12
To register go to Tweetsie Trail Trek Registration on Active.com or download a mail-in Tweetsie_Registration_Form. Your registration fee provides you with a very special inaugural event T-shirt and a keepsake Tweetsie Trail medallion (for the first 3,000 registrations.) The remainder of the registration fee will go toward the Trail construction and maintenance fund.
- Only the first 3,000 registrants are guaranteed an event T-shirt and medallion. Register today to make sure you get yours!
- Also, there will be no registration or packet pick-up on the day of the Trek. Another reason to register early!
PACKET PICK-UP: You will pick-up your TWEETSIE TRAIL TREK T-shirt, race bib and other amenities before the event at Memorial Park Community Center (510 Bert St., Johnson City).
- Wednesday, Aug 27th 3 pm – 8 pm
- Thursday, Aug 28th 11 am - 8 pm
- Friday, Aug 29th 11 am – 8 pm
THE COURSE: This is not a certified course for running purposes. The 4.3 mile distance will be “unofficially” timed. AFTER EVENT FESTIVITIES: Join the crowd for refreshments, music, photos and fun after the Run/Walk on the grounds of Memorial Park Community Center. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: Because of the expected large crowd, we must consider safety of all as a priority. Please be respectful of the following: • No dogs at this event • Strollers must start in the back of the starting line-up • The Trail will be “one-way” from Elizabethton to Johnson City for the Run/Walk event, and Bicycles leaving at noon from the Memorial Park Community Center will be “out & back”. The trail will be open for public use after 3 pm on August 30th.